During daytime, I finally bought a train ticket from Mostar to Sarajevo. The ticket for the 100 kilometers trip was 10 KM, which are 5 Euro.

Mostar train station

Right on time the train entered the station. However, we had a 30 minutes delay there without any obvious cause or communications. This train was (as well as the previous in Hrvatska) between full and overcrowded, in spite of the bad connections. I however learned soon why these carriages shouldn't go to other parts of europe: The window in our compartment was replaced, so it couldn't be opened any more (and we had no means of fresh air). That wasn't as bad as it sounded, as the train doors weren't locked, so someone opened the door while the train was moving and "locked" it with paper so we could get fresh air (and this configuration stayed all the way to Sarajevo at least, so it was that way for about 4 hours).

After leaving Mostar, there were soon signs between the train and the river that the area was mined, so one shouldn't go there. The train drives through beautiful landscape. After it got dark, the electric light within the train was not working, so we had (at best) our mobil phones to provide us with light (strange modern times).

Mine warning between the train tracks and the River Neretva

In spite (or: because?) of these technical issues, I meet a few local people from Sarajevo and from all parts of Europe. So the train trip proved to be nice and entertaining, and I learned a bit about government issues there.

Along the tracks, the signals were non-functional. The trains were directed only by flags (and hand-lights) from personal. On entering any station the train had to slow down till I got shown the relevant flag or hand-light that allowed it to leave the station again. Another heritage from the last war.

With due delay, the train arrived in Sarajevo. Due to missing information at the tram stop, I didn't know that the trams to the train station didn't run that late (but I had the information that there would be trams if the train was on time). As it was late, I shortcut that by taking a taxi to the hotel (if I were to arrive in Sarajevo again, I would walk one tram station to the main line - but well, travelling is also about experiences).

Unplanned that evening was also the Sarajevo film festival, with one stage opposite of the hotel window. As this was almost closing down when I arrived in Sarajevo, nothing to worry but to enjoy.